Saturday, March 26, 2011

Queenstown

Queenstown Weather: low 60's partly cloudy

We slept in today 'til around 8 am... how sad is it that I call that "sleeping in" while on vacation? We took our time getting out the door though.

We walked along the wharf & took in some scenery. I insisted on stopping at a pharmacy to buy some anti-itch bug stuff. The pharmacy was pretty impressive... sadly, I did not take any pictures.

Lake Wakatipu




Queenstown




Putting anti-itch gel on my many, many bug bites




I made him drape himself in possum




Took this one for Nicole!



We grabbed lunch at a Japanese place where Peter finally got his noodle soup that he's been craving. We then headed to do the Shotover Jet Boat Ride. The place where our shuttle picked us up for the jet boat was the same place I was supposed to sign up to do my bungee jumping. Alas, I chickened out. Peter had no interest in it & I really needed someone to come with me for back up in order to ensure that I would jump. Not that I'm blaming him for my chickening out. I'm apparently just a big baby. Maybe someday...
Anyway, back to the jet boat... The boat ride was pretty intense. You feel like you're gonna hit the sides of the rock wall & you do get a bit wet. The "best" part of the boat is that you have to to hold on the entire time... to heated railings. Nice!

Shotover Jet Boat Tour




Shotover Lake




More Shotover




Sexy hair post-Shotover jet boat



We had been tentatively planning to do a hike up on Queenstown Hill, but I thought best to postpone this activity until tomorrow when my legs will hopefully be better rested. Canyoning kinda kicked my butt. So, in lieu of hiking we headed out to the city & stopped at Wine Tastes to try out some local wines. At Wine Tastes you get a card that you put into a machine & it pours you either a taste, half a glass, or a full glass of the wine depending on what you choose. Each pour is a different price that is added onto your card & you pay when you're done. It was cool, overpriced, but interesting.

Wine Tasting




For my mother



We then walked the Queenstown Garden walk which was along the shore. It started getting cooler, so we got some white coffees to enjoy along the way.

Clouds rolling in on Lake Wakatipu




The symbol of New Zealand




Lake Wakatipu




Lake Wakatipu




Lake Wakatipu



We then went back to the city & stopped at a bar called Malbas and had a couple Tuis


Downtown Queenstown




Sexy man at a bar




Yes, I donated




No, these were not purchased



We went to dinner at one of the few Mexican places we've seen since arriving in New Zealand. Then we stopped at a few places to find sunglasses to replace the ones Peter lost today. We headed "home" to the hotel & did our laundry for the second time during this trip while drinking wine & watching the movies "Just Married" & "Bring it On".... our choices were limited on our 6 station television.

No comments: