Sunday, March 27, 2011

Queenstown to Lumsden

Queenstown to Lumsden Weather: mid to high 50's, rainy; sunshine appeared late in the day when we got to Lumsden

Today is our second day in Queenstown. Not a huge fan of the clouds & rain, but we can't complain too much 'cause we have gotten unbelievably lucky with the weather so far! We had breakfast at Cafe 111. I had the most amazing bacon, onion & cheese muffin! I'm planning on trying to replicate the recipe somehow! It was so good! We took the Skyline gondola to the top of the Queenstown hill. Despite the weather the view was awesome!

Skyline Gondola




View from above




View of Queenstown from viewing deck



Peter really wanted to do a hike in Queenstown. Since I put the kibosh on the hike yesterday due to my tired, aching body, I felt it was my duty as a super sweet wife to go on the hike today. I'd like to say that I was enthusiastic and happy about our little hike, but I'd be lying. I'm not good at hiding my feelings... especially when I'm cold. It was beautiful though!

Mushroom in the woods




On our hike




More hike




Not so happy Jaime in the rain




More hike




Some prospectors




More hike



After the hike we had some time to kill before heading to our farmstay in Lumsden. We decided to stop at Les Alpes, a French cafe before leaving Queenstown. I had a flat white & croissant and Peter had a mocha & pain chocolate. Let me just say, the experience at this restaurant did nothing to improve my feelings for French people... they're still rude!

Cafe Mocha & Flat White



After the cafe we headed out to Lumsden for our farmstay. A farmstay is kinda like a bed & breakfast... only on a farm. We thought this would be something different to do. We stayed with Ted & Shirley. They have a family owned & run farm with 5,000 sheep, 1,000 deer and 250 cows. Upon our arrival they gave us some snacks & then took us on a tour of their vast farmland.


Cow




Elk protecting his women




Sheep, of course




Sheep




They don't even blink!




Sun coming out!




View from high above




Deer




It turned out to be a gorgeous day




Bird




Duck pond




Cows




Cows




Cows




Sheep running from us



After our tour of the farm we were treated to a lovely home cooked meal of lamb chops and home grown veggies. We also shared some very good pinot noir we brought from our wine tour adventure. It was all wonderful & a nice change from all the fast food we'd been eating. For desert Shirley made sticky date pudding. I was a bit apprehensive since I'd never had dates before, but it was so freakin' good! There was this unbelievable carmel sauce to poor over the bread (aka the pudding) and ice cream. I got the recipe from Shirley & look forward to making this someday in the not so distant future. After dinner we watched the movie Kick Ass. Yes, you read that correctly. We watched Kick Ass with a 70 year old couple. I swear it was Ted's idea. We were all a little confused, yet intrigued by the ridiculousness of the movie. At it's conclusion we headed to bed.


Max the family cat




Shirley's rose garden




Shirley's birthday giraffe in her garden




SHEEP!


P.S. Happy 29th Birthday to my little brother!!

No comments: