Friday, March 25, 2011

Canyon Crazy

Wanaka Weather: mostly sunny, high 60's
Queenstown Weather: cool, rainy, it was almost 8pm when we got there & I have no idea what temperature it was.

Big adventure day! Today we go canyoning! We booked the Big Nige Canyon trip through Deep Canyon. We were told to eat a big breakfast the morning of, so we headed to Relish's Cafe where we had an awesome breakfast! I had a plate of the most amazing fresh fruit with yogurt & toast with peanut butter. Peter got the ultimate breakfast that included eggs, yummy potato cakes, sausage & "streaky bacon." Streaky bacon was exciting 'cause most of the time in New Zealand when bacon was listed as an ingredient it turned out to be just boring ol' ham.

Anyway, on to our adventure! We headed off to do the Big Nige. We drove about 40 minutes outside of Wanaka to where our adventure would begin. We were fitted with gear that included helmets, gloves, socks, sneakers, thermals, wet suits and harnesses. We then ascended a ridiculously steep hill & climbed up it for about 40 minutes (carrying all of our own gear). Once at the top our guide, Chris gave us a crash course in abseiling (ie rappelling). After that we donned our gear & headed down the canyon by abseiling, sliding & jumping!


Big Nige group: Naomi, me, Peter & Jeff




Gorgeous views from where our adventure would begin




Peter abseiling in a sexy wetsuit




Me abseiling down a waterfall




More views




Happy group




At this point let me say that this was physically demanding. However, the activity part was nothing compared to what my body's thermal components were experiencing. The water was freezing! At points I couldn't even grip my carabiner because my hands had lost all circulation & were as white as snow. Luckily there was a break in the middle of the day where we had hot berry tea & some cookies. Warmed my hands right up!


Me




Getting ready to make our way down




Feel the cold!




In a cold waterfall




This picture makes me laugh everytime!





Me sliding




Peter sliding




"You want me to slide down there?"




This photo is so embarrassing, but I still had to post it. Our tour guide told me to work the camera & this is what he got!




Another big waterfall!




Peter jumping




Me abseiling down a big one...




And letting go of the rope & sliding to the end




Peter abseiling...




...and sliding to the end





Our happy group




One more pic... who's the loser with her helmet still on?



After canyoning we enjoyed a nice picnic at the bottom of the hill/mountain. Then, we headed back to pick up our car & were off to Queenstown. It was only about an hour away & we drove through the picturesque, winding Crown Range Road. Peter was not too happy with my driving on this road. To say the Crown Range Road is twisty is an immense understatement... but it is pretty. It kinda reminded me of the landscape when we drove through Utah/Arizona/Nevada a few years ago.


Crown Range Road





Crown Range Road




Crown Range Road



Peter & I were so exhausted from canyoning that once we got to the hotel we just ate at their restaurant, showered & went to bed. I also announced that I'm gonna sleep in the tomorrow! We have no set plans, so it seems like the perfect day to catch up on some sleep!

In closing, here's a few videos from our canyon adventure. I can't get them to show up any bigger, so squint to see us! ;-)











No comments: