Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Scary Things & Strawberries

This morning at 7 am I finished up my last overnight shift, headed home to sleep for 7.5 hours & then headed to the gym for some cross training as recommended by my orthopedic PA. I didn't quite make it to 45 minutes on my elliptical. I had to spice things up & split my time with the recumbent bike to keep my sanity. Lots of strength training as well. Fun, fun, fun! After, I headed to Wegmans to pick up a few things. The ONLY benefit of going to a gym on Monroe Ave is that Wegmans is across the street!

On a slightly side note, I was surprised to find Sahlen's hot dogs in the meat section! Whoa! Peter got really excited that these were at our Father's Day outing this past weekend. We explained to my family that we can't get them in Rochester... apparently we were wrong! Rochester hot dogs simply do not compare to Buffalo ones!


Wegmans delivers once again!


Unfortunately, on my way out I spotted a clown in the Wegmans parking lot... epic fail... I'm not going to be able to go back there for a few days. I'd say I'd NEVER return there, but if you are from WNY, then you know that statement would be an impossible lie! I'll just have to figure out how to get over the travesty.... somehow.


Damn clown! I had to snap a picture & send it to KJ to warn him to stay far, far away!


On to the reason I went to Wegmans in the first place: STRAWBERRIES!


YUM!


When I decided to make blueberry zucchini bread the other day, Peter asked if I thought I could use strawberries instead. Hmmm, good idea, but do I use fresh or frozen strawberries? and would I leave them whole or cut them up? I hadn't a clue, so I looked for a recipe & found this one for Strawberry Bread! I have a pool party to attend with some wonderful ladies tomorrow, so I took this as my opportunity to get my baking on once again!


SLICED strawberries!



Typical other ingredients


As I started the recipe I quickly became wary. Despite it's fabulous reviews several things seemed odd about the recipe... but I'm a true believer in following the recipe to the letter the first time, so I humored it & kept my fingers crossed.

Weird thing #1. You mix the eggs, strawberries & oil together. You then add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients that are already in the mixer. You mix just until the dry ingredients are wet & then stop. You are then done. This just seemed wacky. I always add dry to wet ingredients. Oh, well...


Eggs... I know, exciting!



Strawberries in lots of vegetable oil


The finished batter was pretty thick. The wet to dry order worked okay. I just had to do a little extra hand mixing since my Kitchen Aid wasn't capable of getting all the dry ingredients up & moving from the bottom (apparently it was confused as well). All in all, it seemed to be a success.


Finished batter ready to bake


Two fresh baked loaves ready to share with friends tomorrow pool side! Fingers crossed!


Well, they look edible...



Mmmm... I hope... I'll have to review it tomorrow!

No comments: