Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Jalapenos & Rhubarb

Memorial Day: Part II

Allow me to preface this post by saying that as Peter & I were departing for our picnic Monday afternoon, he asked me why I couldn't just make potato salad like a normal person. Well, that would be boring I told him... easy, but boring! I also told him that he should be proud of me for being so adventurous & embracing such an undertaking... I don't really recall his response, but I'm sure it included him rolling his eyes...

Alas *sigh* I was excited for a Memorial Day picnic because my most recent issue of Food Network Magazine had a couple recipes I wanted to try. So, in addition to my sangria making, I decided to venture into the world of jalapenos & rhubarb. Recipe #1 was for jalapeno poppers. They just sounded yummy. Pulled pork & cheese in a fried pepper- sign me up! I should've known this was going to turn into a debacle when the only jalapenos I could find were giant mutant ones.



Peter insisted something was wrong with the peppers I purchased



Once washed I had to take out all the seeds & membrane. I wasn't looking forward to this, but how bad could it be, really? Answer: bad. My hands are still infested with capsaicin. Apparently my gellish manicure that I've been raving about likes to absorb capsaicin & not let it go. I begged Peter to take my contacts out for me the night after dealing with these peppers... he refused. After he refused I began to quote our vows, "for better, for worse, etc." That didn't sway his decision at all. So, I had to stick my jalapeno contaminated fingers in my eyes to remove my contacts. It burned. My husband's gonna regret not helping me one day.

The next step was soaking the peppers in milk. I'm assuming this was to get rid of some of the heat. Side note: Soaking my hands in the milk did nothing to remove the pepper remnants from my hands.



Peppers in milk




Lots of jalapenos


For some reason this next step didn't seem weird for us to do, but now it kinda does... I do always say, "go big or go home." Since we needed pulled pork for the stuffing Peter went to the Brighton Farmers Market & bought a pork shoulder that we cooked in the slow cooker.... We used half a cup of the pork for the peppers... the pork shoulder was 2.5 lbs. Good thing we like pulled pork!



Pork shoulder in the slow cooker




Peter pulling pork for the peppers & for dinner


Around this point in the night (this was all Sunday night prep work) Peter noticed that my peppers were drying out & weren't really closing ... that's a problem... I'd prefer the stuffing to stay inside of the peppers. I got to thinking about it & realized that there was no way these peppers were going to cook adequately by just frying them in a pan for a few minutes as the recipe called for. These puppies were thick peppers! So, after refrigerating overnight I popped them in the oven at 350 for 20 minutes before frying.



Stuffed, partially dried peppers




Close up of my peppers




Post baking peppers... honestly, they could've used even longer in the oven




My breading station




The finished product



They looked pretty nice upon completion. Despite that, I told Peter that unless someone told me they were the best thing they've ever eaten, I would not be making these again. While I was complimented numerous times on the peppers, no one said they were the best thing ever... this recipe is history!

Finally, the last recipe I was ready to dominate was Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp! I was really excited about this one. Peter even went to the farmer's market to get me some rhubarb! This recipe was far easier that the jalapenos!



Fresh, homegrown rhubarb




Strawberries & rhubarb




The recipe called for a 8 x 11 pan, but all I had was a 9 x 13, which actually worked out perfectly & I didn't have to worry about it "boiling over"




Crumbs on top!




Voila!




The final product served with ice cream


The crisp recipe is definitely being saved. It was a big hit & not difficult at all!

2 comments:

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun said...

Yea I don't do such labor intensive recipes either. LOL Looks really good though!

Yay for a keeper with the crisp. Although, desserts are almost always winners in my book. ;)

Annette Slowik White said...

Ooh! The Ruhbarb Crisp looks delish! Want a job? I know a restaurant in California that needs a cook ;)