Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rochester Real Beer Expo

This past weekend Peter & I attended the Rochester Real Beer Expo. They closed off a street in our South Wedge neighborhood & set up tents with over 60 craft brews, as well as music, area foods & wines. When we first heard about it & realized it was a less than 5 minute walk from our house, we were sold! It cost $40 per person, which seemed like a lot, but it turned out to be definitely worth it. This was its first year & it sold out, so we're hoping it will become an annual thing!

Let me preface the remainder of this post by saying that I unfortunately did not bring my camera to the event. Once I got there & saw all the photo opportunities I was sad that I left it at home. While I was only a few minutes away from home I decided that there was beer tasting I had to get to STAT! So I decided not to make the trip back home to get it. Thus, these are all pictures from my Motorola Bravo. Definitely not the quality that I was used to with my Blackberry Bold, but it will have to do for the time being.

Back to the subject at hand...

Early on we caught site of a tent where they were hand rolling cigars. It was a tent for Santiago Cigar Factory Inc that makes Dominican cigars. I enjoyed just watching them effortlessly rolling the cigars, while Peter decided he needed a sample.


Trying to look extra "manly"



A woman he knew gave him a hat that completed his "tough truck driver" look



Part of the beer area



more beers



Seriously?! I steered clear of this beer!



Our local BBQ joint representin'



Food & Wine area



More Expo



Attempting a self portrait is hard with my Motorola...



Really hard...



We finally got some nice gentleman to take a pic of us



Wine area... unfortunately the Motorola doesn't have a flash!


Things worth mentioning...

#1. While Peter was talking to friends I offered to grab him a beer sample. He told me "no pale ale, IPA, stouts, or wheat beers." Well, considering those were the majority of beers available I was concerned this would be a difficult task. I decided that I'd just find a cool sounding name & give it to him & pass it off as a lager of some sort. Well, he got lucky... I found McCHOUFFE. I just liked the name & the gnome on the label. I asked what kind of beer it was & was told it was a scotch ale! Success! I wouldn't even have to lie! Peter stated it was the best beer he tried all night.... yeah, I'm a pretty sweet wife!

#2. Goose Island Dominique is a Belgian sour ale. When I wanted to try one of the Goose Island beers I asked the guy behind the counter what was best & he immediately said, "Dominique! It's awesome!" I'm not quite sure of the background of this beer, and it's not even listed on the website. I wouldn't say I loved it, but it was interesting & definitely worth trying. It's tart, but enjoyable & unlike any beer I've ever had before.

#3. The Brooklyn Concoction This was a drink like no other! I initially was gonna get it, but tried the Dominique instead, so Peter went for the big guns & tried this out. We had no idea what we were in for. It was just a hodgepodge of confusion. Here's the description we read after our sampling:

The next beer to come from Brooklyn Brewery’s Brewmaster’s Reserve line is The Brooklyn Concoction. Based off a delightful Scotch-based cocktail called The Penicillin and combining peat smoked malt, minced ginger, lemon juice and wildflower honey, this brand new Concoction is just what the doctor ordered.

I would prefer you try it before I give anymore of it's interesting flavor away!

#4. Mort Subite Kriek Lambic I'm a big fan of lambics, so I was excited they had one at the expo! Yumm! I just loved how well the sweetness of the lambic & the sourness of the cherries went together.


Following the expo we headed out to a neighborhood bar to meet up with some friends. Unfortunately, it was movie night at the bar & the sight on the screen that announced what movie was to come was enough to scare me away & home to bed..... This movie is on my Top 10 DO NOT WATCH movie lists! I still maintain it's the scariest movie EVER! ......


Seriously?! Willy Wonka?! Who plays this movie at a bar?!

No comments: