Monday, February 14, 2011

Valentines Day a la Food Network & Woman's Day

7 years ago I met my now husband on Valentines Day..... of course we didn't really talk or hang out together that day & didn't officially start dating until months later, but regardless it is the day we met! Since today was my day off I decided to cook a nice V-day dinner for him.


There was an entire surf & turf dinner that had been described in my Food Network magazine, so I decided to conquer it. I had to make some minor substitutions, but it was pretty close.
I couldn't find jumbo shrimp, pancetta or truffled peccorino (for the mashed potatoes), so I substituted regular shrimp, prosciutto, and plain peccorino cheese respectively. Peter didn't even know the difference. It was a decent dinner- good, but sadly, not wonderful.


Now, the desert is what I'm most proud of. There was a recipe for Molten Chocolate Cake in Woman's Day magazine. It seemed easy enough & I figured I'd give it a shot.... I'm so glad I did!
It turned out fabulous! Even my picky husband commented on how good it was!
Finally, we had a drink for dessert as well. I read the recipe wrong, but didn't realize that until it was too late. The drink we made was equal parts Chambord & sparkling rose. It was ridiculously sweet, but we drank it anyway.... then finished off the rest of the sparkling wine without any chambord (much better).

All, in all, not to shabby!

No comments: