Thursday, February 17, 2011

Can't Wait for my New Toy!

A few weeks ago I decided that I really, REALLY wanted a GPS to run with. I've been trying to justify spending the money. Finally, yesterday, I justified it to myself & bought it before I could change my mind. It should be arriving from Amazon in 5-10 days!

Last year in the beginning stages of my half-marathon training I decided to invest in the Nike + system. It wasn't that much of an investment. For the Nike Sports Kit it only cost $29.99 at Best Buy. Sadly, it is not compatible with my iPod classic or my Shuffle, but luckily my husband has a second generation iPod Nano lying around that he no longer uses since he upgraded to the iPhone way back when. Thankfully, the ancient Nano is compatible! So, I was super excited about my Nike + system.... for a couple weeks. The system is basically a glorified pedometer. Sure, it keeps track of your time, distance & pace, and will even read it back to you over your iPod, BUT it is horribly inaccurate. Try, try as I might, I could not calibrate the thing to accurately report my distance. My 3 mile runs were always around 2.5 miles according to my iPod, and the longer I ran the greater the discrepency. Regardless, I continued to use it through my half-marathon in April, and on into the summer.

Eventually I felt it was time to upgrade! So, as I said earlier, I started looking into GPS for my runs. Finally, I settled on the Garmin Forerunner 110!

I really wanted the 410, but it was hard enough to justify spending the money on the 110. The 410 can do a lot more things, but the one thing that I really liked about it is that it can give you your instant pace, as opposed to the 110 that can only give you the average pace per mile. I decided that I was okay without the instant pace feature.... especially since that would've cost me an extra $150.... couldn't really justify that one!

Now I wait. As if I wasn't excited about the impending warm weather & outdoor runs already!

No comments: