Monday, April 30, 2012

Flower City Half Marathon Recap

Sadly, I am not one of those people that takes pictures while running (maybe someday), so this will be a boring post for those of you not interested in running!

Half marathon day finally arrived yesterday.  It was a cool 35 degrees when we left our house, but it was sunny & we knew it would warm up pretty fast.

I've had the idea in my head for quite sometime that I wanted a sub 2:00 half.  The weeks leading up to the race I'd gone over in my head what I needed to do to reach my goal.... & I had very little confidence I could attain it.

I told Peter the night before that I hadn't figured out my racing strategy yet.  He told me, "Just run."  Well, easy for him to say.  I just kept thinking that finishing the race with a 9:09 pace (for my 2 hour goal) should be my strategy.... but I hadn't really trained for a 2 hour half.  I actually didn't know what I had really trained for, but it just didn't seem like 2 hours was realistic.  I was so scared that I would start with a 9:09 pace & then just die a few miles in & wind up with a crappy time.  I was scared.  Why?  Probably just because that's my personality.  When I was young and my parents would quiz me on homework or something I wouldn't give them an answer unless I was 100% sure it was right.  I don't like to be wrong.  I don't like to fail.... but enough about my childhood issues that have followed me into adulthood... onto the race.

Once Peter & I got to the start I decided to find the 2 hour pacer & just start there & see how I felt.  If worse came to worse then I would just pull back & go for a more reasonable PR.  I mean, the last time I ran this race 2 years ago I finished around 2:12 (10:11 pace).  As long as beat that time I would be content.... and that shouldn't be a problem.

So, the race began... I kept the pacer in my sights for the first couple miles, but she seemed to be going slow...

Mile 1:  9:16

and then fast...

Mile 2:  8:35

WTF?!

I decided that I needed to find my own groove & run where I felt comfortable.  So, I did.

Mile 3:  9:19
Mile 4:  9:12
Mile 5:  9:16

I felt pretty good.  Those were pretty fast splits for me.  I still was worried I'd hit a wall, so I conserved just enough energy to feel confident I wouldn't die.

Around this point is a gel station and then you get to the Goodman St hill.  This is right around the corner from where we live, so I know how long it lasts & what I need to do to make it through.

Mile 6:  9:25

I knew a quick downhill would follow, so I just paced myself & got ready to head into the cemetery portion of the race... and here's where I started to feel like I was actually running a half marathon.  There's some uphill at the beginning of the cemetery & then lots of turns & just miserable conditions... or maybe I was just tired.

Mile 7:  9:25
Mile 8:  9:17

Around this point I took the gel I brought with me.  I've never taken 2 gels in a run, but I had only drank water at the stations (no Gatorade), and I just felt like I needed something else to fuel me.  Plus, I knew there was caffeine in the gel I brought, maybe that would help too.  So, I decided to listen to my body & sucked down that gel like a champ and just prayed that we'd be exiting the cemetery portion soon.  I knew once we were out I'd only have a 5k to go & that comforted me.

Mile 9:  9:17
Mile 10:  9:14

Once I was out of the cemetery & had a 5k flat course left & checked my Garmin for the millionth time, I knew I'd need a miracle to finish in 2 hours.  A serious miracle.  I took a quick inventory of how my body felt & other than a sore right knee I felt pretty good.  I knew I could push it the last 3.1 miles.  I didn't think 2 hours was a realistic goal anymore, but damned if I was gonna throw in the towel & coast 'til the end.  I knew I had some kick left in me, so might as well give the race my all.

Mile 11:  8:58

Not too bad.  Mile 11 felt good, but I knew that 8:58 was not gonna get me to the finish line in 2 hours.

Mile 12:  8:40

Huh?  Looking again at my Garmin I knew this could be close.  At this point I remember having a conversation with myself after doing some quick calcs in my head.  2 hours still seemed pretty far off, but I needed to just push harder than I ever had & come as close as my body would let me.  I also started thinking at this point that I could imagine myself finishing with a time of 2:00:01 just because it would really piss me off!

During this point I started to observe the runners around me.  Maybe observe is a bad word... I actually started to pity them... okay, maybe that's not the best word to describe it either.  Basically what I was thinking at this point, is that it's a shame these people aren't going to get their 2 hour half.  2 hours is a big half marathon milestone... but I digress...

I ran that last 1.1 miles as fast as I could.  My lungs burned.  My legs hurt.  I felt tears coming on... but the tear were actually tears of joy, because I felt like a runner that last 1.1 miles.  I felt like I was running the race of my life & I was going to win.

Mile  13:  8:17

I crossed the finish line with the clock at 2:00:17.  Peter found me right away & told me he thought I got it.  My Garmin said 1:59:51, but I didn't trust it.

We got to my car & I pulled out my phone.  The race organization is doing this new thing where they text you your race time.  My text said my time was 2:00:14.  Son of a bitch!  I showed Peter & he said that was definitely wrong.  We didn't cross the start for at least 20 seconds after the gun, and the clock definitely said 2:00:17 when I crossed, so he didn't know where this 2:00:14 came from.  I was concerned at this point that my chip never registered the time I crossed the start.

I resigned myself to failure... no, not really.  I had one final chance... the official results would be posted soon.

So, around 3 hours after I completed my race, the official results were uploaded to the race site.

My official time was 1:59:55

I could have cried tears of joy.

No comments: