Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Stoned

My body's been feelin' pretty wiped out since Sunday's run.  Even before the half I had been thinking that I should schedule a massage post run as a reward to myself.  However, I just went for (my first) deep tissue massage a few weeks back (after that killer mountainous 15k I ran), so I found it hard to justify another massage so soon after....

**Side note:  I'm so NOT a massage girl, if that's what you are thinking.  I normally don't think it's worth it.  I'm a true advocate of a good ol' facial when I hit the spa.  That way I get a nice, clean, refreshed face, AND they typically massage your head, upper back & neck! So much more worth it than a little body rub down.  But, as usual, I digress....**

Anyway, I felt my body would really benefit from a massage after Sunday's run.  As luck would have it, I found a Living Social voucher that I had purchased about 6 months ago to Corn Hill Spa for a hot stone massage.  Have I ever been there? NO.  Have I ever gotten a hot stone massage? NO.  Did I even know what a "hot stone massage" was? NO.  And to be honest, I really didn't care.  I called up the spa & they actually had an opening after I got out of work today, so I booked it & never looked back.

OH. MY. GOD. It was a wonderful experience.  I want to do it every day.

Apparently this picture I saw of "hot stone massage" was misleading.



Not that I wanted to lie naked on the floor with my ass barely covered & stones on my back, I just found the photo misleading.

What happens is they massage you with oil & then put the flat, smooth, hot stones into their palms & massage you with them.  The stones are pretty much an extension of their hands.  The heat is awesome.  You don't feel the stones, you only feel the heat from them.

I was in heaven for the entire time.  The massage doesn't get "deep" like a deep tissue massage, but the heat is supposed to help penetrate without excessive pressure being applied.

I feel relaxed & refreshed.  I think this massage was a great way to end my two day complete rest period following the half.  Tomorrow I'm going to ease back into my workouts & getting my diet back on track.  I have a workout schedule devised for the next 5 weeks & I'm excited for my next adventure... but I'll get into that later...


No comments: