Sunday, April 1, 2012

Corned Beef Hash

Today Peter & I did the Spring Forward Distance Run 15K at Mendon Ponds. It was kinda intense. The distance was not my worry... the hills were. To say I was scared of this race is an understatement. Rochester is pretty flat and my training has not incorporated much hill work. Luckily we survived. It was tough, but not nearly as tough as I anticipated. My calves were screaming by the end, but (except for exhaustion) I felt pretty good. I finished in 1:27:27 which gave me a pace of 9:24. I was impressed with myself, but once again I think it just goes to show that I continually underestimate myself. I think if I could just give myself a good kick in the ass I could be a pretty decent runner.

Yesterday Peter & decided that we would enjoy mimosas & a nice brunch after the grueling race. Upon arriving home we drank a mimosa & shared some bacon and then I promptly passed out on the couch for a few hours. So, the plan changed & we made some pretty awesome corned beef hash for dinner. We used the leftover corned beef, and then everything else was from our garden- homegrown potatoes, peppers & onions!


Hash prep


Rendering some fat from corned beef scraps!


Browning the potatoes


Peter wanted photographic evidence of the mimosas, so he took this wonderful picture of me post 15k run/post nap. Awesome.


Adding the onions


Muff enjoying the warmth from the dryer as she watched us cooking


Corned beef finally added to the mix


I like my potatoes extra crispy!


We planned on having leftovers, but somehow we ate this entire pan of hash for dinner... it was so good!



And here's some photographic evidence of this morning's race. When I showed Peter this pic he stated: "Well, that seems to sum up my running abilities nicely....struggling to keep up with an old man and woman."

No comments: