Thursday, April 21, 2011

Pigeons & Groins


So, I've been doing this yoga thing for a few months now, and I finally feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. I think it may be what my body really needed. Running was pretty much my sole focus & my body really needed some variety to make it stretch, flex & as my yoga insturctor put it yesterday, "shuffle the deck." I think it was time to move my body in a way it wasn't used to & really challenge myself. There's nothing like walking out of a hot yoga room after 75 minutes of power vinyasa. I feel (to quote Ramona on RHONY) "renewed."

I've been going to Breathe for a few months. I found out about it when there was a Groupon for a 5 class pass available for it earlier this year. I bought the Groupon, but then discovered something even better. I looked into it, and they offer a beginner series of 3 introductory classes for $25. I bought it, went, and haven't looked back since. I really recommend it, especially for people who might find the idea of hot yoga intimidating! They teach you the basics & make you feel comfortable enough to walk into any class! Do it!

I've wanted to try hot yoga for a while & I'm so glad I've finally found a great place to do it. I'm still very new to all of this, but I'm seeing changes & advances in myself that make me really excited! Hopefully it only gets better.

On a related note, I have a love/hate relationship with half pigeon pose. Being a runner, I've definitely done stretches like this before, but holding the pose and getting really deep into the stretch leaves me cringing in pain. For those of you who do not know the pose check it out below.
Half pigeon is a hip opener. Hip openers are really good for runners & really stretches my tight hips. I definitely don't bend down as far as the girl in the picture. I have to prop myself up, but maybe someday I'll be able to "rest" on the ground. I'm still getting a ridiculous stretch. As I'm in this pose I'm often thinking about how much I hate and love this pose. I can't figure out which is the dominant feeling. It hurts in a good way. I was thinking this in Monday's class when I remembered hearing an interview with Marshawn Lynch from a few years back when he was a rookie. He was talking about stretching out his "groins." Lucky for you I found the video! Go to 07:00 for the moment I'm speaking about:




"When practice over and I gotta go stretch my tight groins and I mean they're in pain, but it feel so good. I don't understand how it can feel so good but hurt so bad..."


Now everytime I do half pigeon I think of Marshawn... and laugh a little inside.

**For another Marshawn clip that relates to me go to 01:58 on the video...

No comments: