Saturday, April 30, 2011

Aerial Arts Adventure

I've become a bit of a Groupon addict. It's how I found my yoga studio & some new interesting restaurants. At some point I also found one of it's "competitors," Living Social . I just love waking up in the morning to deals!

A few weeks ago there was a Living Social deal for Aerial Arts of Rochester. This place is less than 10 minutes from my home, but I'd never even heard of it. Since I'm always up for adventure & a new way to work out I bought the deal for the aerial sampler workshop. At this class I was going to learn static trapeze, hammock, aerial hoop, & aerial silks... huh? Oh well, might as well just go for it anyway.

Well, my friends, this was one of the hardest things I've done in a while. Apparently I have zero upper body strength, 'cause getting into these contraptions was definitely an effort! I did it though.

I learned how to get myself in a hoop that was 5 feet off of the floor, as well as how to maneuver through silks that were hanging from the ceiling. Unfortunately, I didn't have a camera, and I left my phone in the car. They encourage taking pictures (probably 'cause it gets your friends all jealous). Luckily one of the girls there took a couple shots of me & texted me the pictures... don't mind the poor quality.


Me in the hoop



Me hanging on the silks... much more impressive in person!


It's nothing I ever thought I wanted to do, or planned on doing, but in the end I was very glad I did it. Of course, I will never be a Cirque du Soleil, or circus performer... not because I'm not super talented at this stuff, but because of my fear of clowns, of course.

The night of my aerial class, I had trouble sleeping. The sleepless night was not due to the clown thoughts popping up in my head, but because of the pain in my arms. I seriously hurt myself in that aerial class. The next 48 hours only got worse. I couldn't even go to yoga for fear of my arms giving out on me, and it hurt to hold my arms up while I was running... seriously.

So, I guess my review of my little outing would be the following:
It was fun & different & unlike anything I've ever tried before! Give it a shot, even if only for the sweet pics you can get of you hanging from the ceiling! Remember your camera!! Prepare to feel like your arms are going to fall off.

1 comment:

Gretel said...

Jaime, Just found this blog and I love it! Plus, I've learned never to bring you to a circus. :-) Looking forward to more posts! -Gretel