Friday, June 13, 2008

Settling Down

A few weeks ago I wrote a blog where I mentioned that a 23-year old intern had told me that the best years of her life were over. I thought this was ridiculous.

I mentioned the conversation to a co-worker/friend and she replied, "She's right!" I was stunned by her response, and was like, "Are you serious?!" She went on to explain that she felt that the days of hangin' out with friends regularly & spontaneously had ended. Now everyone has moved away, gotten married and/or started having kids. Now we're supposed to "settle down" into monotony. Things are now so different and it was sad.

I shared my opinion on how there's still so much that is going to happen in our lives, and if you think the best is over, then what the fuck are you gonna do for the next 60 years of your life?! Why live at all?

In the end we decided that we each had a valid point, and while our lives are definitely not over, they are very much different, and sometimes that is a depressing thought.

I have the occasional moment when I feel 21 again, like the days I play flip cup all night or stay out 'til the bars close. Those days are becoming few and far between though. Mostly my life has become centered around work.

Typical day for Jaime:
I wake up at 6 am.
I leave for work at 6:50 am.
I arrive at work at 7:55 am.
I work from 8-4 pm entering orders and monitoring patients.
I leave work at 4:05 am.
I arrive home from work at 5:10 am.
I eat a snack and go running or work out and finish around 6:15 pm.
I take a shower and fix myself up and finish that around 7:15 pm.
I now have free time until around 10 pm.
I go to sleep at 10 pm ('cause getting 8 hours of sleep is a necessity for me most days).

It's a never ending (dull & boring) cycle.

I'm not saying that my life sucks, 'cause it definitely does not. I'm just saying that it's very different from my old life. I'm trying to get used to it. Thankfully, I think the fear of getting stuck in a rut and having no social life will keep me from becoming a complete and total boring loser!

No comments: