Friday, May 16, 2008

Counting Dollars & Calories

I've decided that it's nearly impossible to lose weight and save money at the same time. Seriously. Making two big lifestyle alterations at the same time is incredibly difficult! I didn't really realize the connection until recently.

So, as I've mentioned several times, I am attempting to save $15,000 by the end of the year. Will this really happen? I do not know, but I'm pretty close to being on schedule with it. So far I have saved a third of my goal. I'm very proud of this. It has not been easy. Somehow I've managed to do this, even with my Key West vacation and my newly acquired mountain bike. Honestly, the vacation was helped out greatly by my tax refund... which also went to those pesky new tires I had to buy for my car. Also, we thankfully found a mountain bike that was last year's model, which saved me over a hundred dollars! I had to give up the pretty, girly, purple mountain bike that I fell in love with, but I believe I made the right choice in the end. Unfortunately , despite being able to have a few indulgences, I'm definitely feeling the money crunch. The fact that my travel expenses have increased significantly, and will continue to do so is kinda... ok, VERY frustrating. I've cut back on eating out, and random entertainment things. Also, I haven't been to the mall in over a month! Seriously! I haven't been to Target either! Oh, no, I have actually, but that was only to buy Mother's Day cards! So, needless to say, my life today is a bit different than my past money squandering days.

So, that's the $$ side. Now, let's look at the losing weight issue. I'm doing Weight Watchers. For 3 weeks I stuck to it religiously, but this past week has been nearly impossible. I can not stick to my points. People would say that maybe I've just deprived myself, but I really don't think so. I rarely go to bed hungry, and I still work eating junk food into my weekly points. This past week has sucked ass. I'm not quite sure why exactly, but I have stress in my life. Lots of random things, issues, etc. Nothing serious. I just think that everyone gets to that point where they feel they could melt down for no good reason. Life just gets to you. I think that maybe I'm using food to cope with this. I began to analyze this theory...

I've decided that money and food are two of the most common things that people use to cope. Now, it's not necessarily a bad thing, but obviously it can become a problem. How many people have issues with overeating & being in debt. So, now that these two things have been taken away from me, what am I supposed to do?! I must find another outlet! In the past I've used exercise, but I don't think that's enough...

So, that's my issue. I'm trying reading, writing, running, biking, yoga, and taking my cats for walks. I open to any suggestions.

Other than that, things are good. My internet is finally in working order. My birthday is in 3 weeks. My new drivers licence came in the mail. I was disappointed in it, but then looked at my old one and immediately felt better about the new one. We're planning a fall trip to Utah & Vegas. And that's about it. It's thankfully Friday, and I hope that this weekend my point spending will be on track like my money saving! Have a happy Friday!

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

I'm trying to work out five times a week. If I try to do points I will flip out and eat enough to feed a small village for a week. Dieting SUCKS (but I am striving for five and I like it).