Tuesday, March 11, 2008

On the Road Again

So, I think I've calmed down a bit since yesterday. Mostly that's because my car problems have been handled. After digging my car out of a snow bank Sunday it appeared to have a bit of a vibrating problem when I exceeded 40 MPH. I was little scared to drive it. I did some research online, and it looked as if it could be a variety of problems. I kept my fingers crossed that it was just snow & ice caked on somewhere, but I still worried that I tore out something in the undercarriage of my car. So, after driving 65 miles to work Monday morning with my hands going numb from the vibrations I decided I best get my ass to a mechanic. Luckily, I needed an oil change as well, so the guy at Meineke checked out my car (Free of charge, thankfully! I always worry about getting taken advantage of when it comes to my car.) after the oil change and told me there was no problem. Yeah! All the snow and ice must've melted while my car was out in the sun all day. So, I was able to drive all the way home without going numb! Good news #1!

Also, I've had this ongoing problem with my tires. They are done for. I was told they were "balled" at approximately 32,000 miles. I am now at 38,000 miles. This is not good. However, in my defense, I have been totally getting screwed when trying to purchase these damn tires! The original Michelin tires on my car are shit, so I knew I needed to find a new brand. Peter & I researched and came up with some kind of Kumho tires. Well, after ordering online I was called and told that the tires would not be appropriate for my car and thus they could not put them on. Jigga what? They came up on all the searches and came highly recommended! Apparently they are T-rated. I need V or H-rated. For all of you who are "car dumb," like me, that is the speed rating. T-rated allows for up to 118 MPH. Since my car is capable of going faster, I need a higher rating (Something that could've been brought to my attention yesterday!!!). So, in my second attempt to purchase tires I took Peter's second recommendation of General Altimax something or other. Well, days later I was notified that they are on back order and would take around 8 weeks to come in. Uh, pretty sure my car's not gonna last that long considering that'll put me at another 5,000 miles on the already balled tires. Well, FINALLY, I spoke with Dunn Tire today and ordered tires after doing my own research. I felt so independent picking out my own tires without Peter! Hopefully they will be pretty sweet!

And that is all. Apparently Meineke and tires are all I needed to cheer me up! Oh, and I'm picking up Peter from the airport tomorrow from work, so that doesn't hurt either.

No comments: