Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Stop Making Fun of Me

Today was Hallie's big surgery day! She needed to go in to have an infected tooth removed. Since she was already going to have anesthesia we decided that it would be a good idea to have one of her troublesome extra claws removed. Hallie has, what we like to refer to them as thumbs. She is polydactyl. Funny thing is that when I picked her out at the SPCA I didn't even notice all her extra toes... I guess her cuteness won me over on it's own.


Classic Hallie... notice the "mittens"


Anyway, not to bore you with cat stories, but it was time to get rid of one claw in particular that tends to get stuck in things.


Yes, I know you can't really see it, and yes, I know you don't care about my cat, but I don't really give a damn!


This morning Hal made the trip to the vet & is still there. They're making her spend the night so that they can make sure she doesn't walk on the foot & she doesn't spike a temp. Poor thing!


Yes, this is Hallie's cat carrier... shut up & stop making fun of my crazy cat antics!


On to dinner...

I'm the type of cook that finds a recipe she likes & then goes & purchases all the ingredients on it... right down to the garam masala that I will never use again. It kinda drives my husband crazy. I just don't consider myself to be a smart enough cook to whip up something with the ingredients I already have in my cupboards, refrigerator, or freezer.

Yesterday, I took a step in the right direction & made chicken caesar wraps! I had all the ingredients at home already! ... except for the croutons... I had to buy those at Wegmans... and then Peter didn't even realize that they were on the counter waiting for him to put them in his wrap! ....but I digress...

So, I wasted a trip to Wegmans yesterday on those worthless croutons & would not allow myself to do that again today... except for the fact that I really wanted to make roasted cauliflower, so I was gonna go to Wegmans to pick up a head, when my husband reminded me that I have some already in the freezer... fine. No Wegmans.

I decided to put together a dinner of leftover Kielbasa from Dyngus Day, sauteed with onions, peppers & mushrooms that I already had, with a side of roasted cauliflower & a side of Wegmans Golden Jewel Blend that I've been wanting to try! Then, I got really ambitious... I picked a scallion from the garden to add to the Golden Jewel Blend, and harvested some chives for my cauliflower... I know, I'm such an innovative chef!


Scallion/Baby Onion from our garden



Chives & Chive Blossoms



Yes, I put some chives in a bud vase... shut up!



Voila!


Dinner was mediocre, but I'm proud of myself for using what I had on hand, not following any recipes, and actually using items from our garden!

No comments: