Saturday, May 21, 2011

My New Obsession

I have a new obsession... depending on how the next few weeks go it may turn into an addiction. It's known as a "gelish manicure." It's seriously the best thing I've discovered in quite a while. Allow me to share...

Two weeks ago, before I went to Vegas I decided to get a french manicure. I'm not really a fan of getting manicures since they never seem to last long. I actually never even got a manicure for my own wedding. I was so concerned that the polish would chip before the ceremony that I just did my nails myself. Regardless, I was in the mood for a french manicure. I had already gotten a pedicure a few days before that, so I figured it would be a nice change to have all my nails pretty at the same time.

I ventured out to a random nail place that I had never been to before, Solar Nail Salon. It seemed decent enough. I requested a french manicure & they told me it would be $18. Not bad. Then it began... they started to tell me that I NEEDED to get a gelish manicure. They went on & on about how it would last 2-3 weeks, it doesn't chip, and it would dry instantly. I asked the price & they told me $45. I told them, "No, thank you."

So, I began to get a regular french manicure when the woman taking care of me whispered, "Do you want to try the gelish polish?" I kindly told her that yes, I was interested, but I would absolutely not pay $45 for it. She offered me a discount of $35 to try it... I'm a sucker for "deals," so I agreed.

Basically, they do your nails in layers of thick gelish polish & you put your hands underneath UV or LED lights in between coats.

The results were unbelievable. Not a chip or crack or peel in 2 whole weeks! I was sold on the manicure. However, I was not sold on the $45 (or even $35) it would cost to have this done every 2-3 weeks. I searched around & found places that do it for $20 - 30! Damn! I had been ripped off! Oh, well! At least those people got me to try this new wonderful invention!

My manicure lasted reasonably well for 2 weeks. There were no chips or peels in my polish. At this point it was just the new nail growth that bothered me enough to have it reapplied. Here's what my nails looked after 2 weeks.







After 2 weeks I made an appointment at Maxim Spa & Salon. They would remove & reapply my french manicure for $25.

To have it removed your nails are covered in acetone soaked cotton, wrapped in aluminum foil, and covered in a hot damp towel for 10 minutes. After they remove the layers they then scrape away to remaining polish. Then, your nails are filed & you start the whole process all over again.

I must say that my nails feel much stronger than usual. Obviously the thick gel keeps them pretty strong. Also, for once in my life I feel like my nails are able to grow to a decent length & I'm not afraid of them breaking!

Voila! My new manicure! (Sorry, I should've put some lotion on my crocodile skin before taking these close up pics!)





So, that's my new obsession.... because I know everyone cares about nails as much as I do!

1 comment:

Leigh Ann said...

This is an excellent post!! Getting manicures in Buffalo never seemed right, maybe becuase it didn't feel right to pay for law school and manicures, too much ya know! Now that Brad will be making money, I have been so excited to go to the spa and slowly turn into one of those snobbish pittsford wives who takes the huge shopping cart with the car in the front and gets in the way of everyone in Wegmans!

My original plan was to frequent Star Nails, but this Gellish Manicure sounds WAY BETTER. Plus it will keep me from biting my nails. We'll have to make gell dates, thanks for all the research!